Mold is a major allergen that affects many people. While there are many cases of humans getting sick from mold, there aren’t quite as many recorded instances ofpetsbeing affects. Is this because pets aren’t affected bymold? Or is this because the effects of mold on pets haven’t gotten much attention? Read on to find out the truth.
Can Mold Affect Pets?
A lot of people seem to think that mold doesn’t affect their pets, but the opposite is true. Pets are actually much more susceptible to the effects of mold because they tend to be smaller, and theirrespiratory systemsare usually more sensitive than most people. This means that your furry friend might be suffering tremendously from mold, but he or she can’t say anything about it.
Pets can be affected by bothindoor and outdoor mold. While there are a few things that you can do about outdoor mold, indoor mold is fairly easy to control if you hire a professional crew to clean it up.
Most of the common effects and symptoms ofmold-induced illnessesare shared between humans and pets. Pets often suffer fromsneezing, scaly patches, a runny nose, ear infections and increased anxietywhen they are suffering from mold.
At the same time, this usually goes undetected because most owners and vets will misdiagnose this as allergies. While treating your dog for allergies might help alleviate some symptoms, it won’t be that effective unless you get rid of the mold.
Tips for Outdoor Mold
There are only a few things that you can do to control outdoor mold. You should regularly mow your lawn, get rid of any decaying matter and you should only walk your pet on areas with short grass and dense dirt. This will limit your pet’s exposure to mold, but sensitive pets might still suffer from this low amount of exposure.
You should also keep your pet inside as much as possible. If your house isclean of mold, then this is a great way to keep your pet from experiencing any mold. If your house isn’t clean, then you might be making things worse.
Tips for Indoor Mold
You should only buy pet beds and toys that can be washed in hot water. If they cannot be washed, then you should throw them away after a year to ensure that mold and dust mites can’t infest the beds and toys.
You should also use a HEPA filter to clean the air, and a dehumidifier to prevent the growth of mold. Shampoos that fight allergies are also a good idea, but there is one thing that is even more effective.
It is a great idea to have your home cleaned by a professional team to ensure that all of the mold in your home is removed. This will keep you and your pet from suffering, and it’s quite an affordable service.
Bothpets and humanscan suffer frommold allergiesand illnesses, but there are unfortunately only a few things that you can do to control mold. The best thing that you can do is have your home professionally cleaned so that all of the mold is removed. This will make the air much cleaner, and both you and your pet can breathe easily again.
Author:Eva Magnusson Phone: 561-287-1651 Dated: April 5th 2017 Views: 1,099 About Eva: ...
View our latest blog posts in your RSS reader. Click here to access.